Crystal will always allow you to block all adverts. That will not change.
There is now an option available to allow Acceptable Ads that meet a strict criteria to show to help support your favourite sites and encourage the use of responsible advertising on the web. You can disable this setting from the main menu if you want all ads blocked. Want more details on Acceptable Ads? click here to read my post.
Can Crystal track your browsing habits?
No - Content Blockers on iOS are not able to track what websites you visit
Why is Crystal "not compatible" with my device?
Apple only allow content blockers to be made available for 64-bit devices which means the iPhone 5s, iPad Air, iPad Mini 2 or any newer devices. According to their documentation, this is for performance reasons.
I have enabled Crystal in the settings, and it is not working?
First, check that when you open Crystal, there is a number greater than 0 listed next to "Blocklist Version". If it shows 0, look at the question below. If it is greater than 0, try the following:
- Go to Settings > Safari > Content Blockers - And turn Crystal off. Wait 5 seconds, then turn it on, and wait 10 seconds.
- After that, double tap the "Home Button" on the device to show the multitasking menu, and quit Safari by swiping up on the Safari screen.
- Reopen Safari and it should start working.
I can't enable Crystal, the option is greyed out!
Go to Settings > General > Restrictions > Websites and turn off restrictions. I have no idea why this would prevent Crystal from becoming activated.
My Blocklist Version still displays "0", why is it not getting updated?
Check the following setting is turned on:
- Settings > iCloud > iCloud Drive > Cellular Use
- If you're unable to do the above - try and connect to Wifi.
- Then double-tap your home button & swipe up on Crystal to force quit the app
- Reopen Crystal. The Blocklist Version should update to a number greater than 0 after ~20seconds
I've installed Crystal and adverts still load, what gives?
Do the following steps:
- Open Crystal - The "Blocklist Version" at the bottom should update so it is higher than 0.
- Force Quit Safari via the multitasking menu. Double tap home button and swipe up!
- Check Crystal is enabled in Settings>Safari>Content Blockers
If a website fails to load correctly, what should I do?
Crystal works on the vast majority of websites, although some may have compatibility problems as I haven't got round to testing every single website... yet! - Use the report site feature to make me aware of the problem so we can fix it.
You can also hold down the refresh button in Safari, it'll give you an option to reload the page on without Crystal as a temporary workaround.
How does the Report Site feature work?
You can report a site that is still showing adverts or has lost functionality directly from Safari, just use the Crystal Report Site extension. As soon as I fix the issue, normally within a few days, I push out a new blocklist automatically.
Why do you need Background Refresh on?
See next question.
My blocklist version is not automatically updating?
The blocklist auto-update feature relies on Background Fetch being turned on in the main Settings app, and Crystal is not force quit through the multitasking launcher.
If you would like to update the blocklist manually, you can do this by opening the Crystal app. Every time it launches, it automatically checks and updates to the latest blocklist.
Will there be an macOS Version?
Yes - That is planned.
What languages does Crystal support?
English, French, German, Spanish, Danish, Japanese & Chinese (Simplified & Traditional).